Now that the rice has been thrown and the bouquet has been tossed, it's time to head out on your honeymoon. Whether you'll be sunning yourself on a beach, skiing the slopes of Aspen or traipsing off to an uber-romantic city like Paris, a girl needs to be prepared. Strategic packing is key. You want to take the guesswork out of what to wear and maximize your fun time. Set out on your honeymoon adventure prepared with these basic packing tips and quick checklists.
For any honeymoon, you need a few key items that will keep your suitcase light and leave a little room for some shopping while you’re away.
- Versatile handbag: Bring one classic handbag that will serve all purposes (Coach anybody?). This doesn’t mean that you can’t throw in a cute wristlet to take out on the town or repurpose your makeup bag as a clutch, but handbags take up a lot of room in a suitcase, so make sure you’ve got one that’s a neutral color and will match whatever outfit you choose.
- The right shoes: Shoes also take up a lot of space in your suitcase, so be choosy. Match your shoes to your activities and not your outfits. Choose neutral hues that you can mix with various outfits.
- Double-duty makeup: Depending on your destination and activities, your makeup will vary day to day. Purchase a compact with an array of eye shadows in one color palette, one neutral and one fun lip shade, and a foundation that doubles as sunscreen.
If you’re hanging out at the beach, you need a few key outfits and beachwear to get you through the trip. Here's your beach trip packing checklist:
- Pair of jeans or pants for a casual night or travel
- Cardigan sweater for chilly nights
- Sundresses for day wear
- LBD or cocktail dress for a night on the town
- Swimsuits (pack two so you can switch between wet suits)
- Accessories (try metallics) that match almost every outfit
- Beach cover-up
- Shirts (workout shirt, tank top, casual shirt, dressy shirt to wear with jeans)
- Workout or yoga pants
- Sexy flip-flops (leave the clunky ones at home)
- Dressy sandals
- Walking or workout shoes
By nature, winter wear is bulky. Think layering and opt for clothes that mix and match while keeping you warm and toasty. Here are the essentials:
- Snow pants or bibs
- Ski jacket
- Day coat
- Cute and cozy PJs
- Accessories like scarves, gloves, hats and earmuffs
- Evening dress and shoes if you plan to hit an upscale restaurant
- Long-sleeved shirts for layering
- Flip-flops for hitting the hot tub
- Boots for exploring town
- Comfortable après-ski shoes
Big City Trip
For a city trip, your choices will depend on the weather, but you definitely want to bring outfits that you can walk around in while staying on trend. Here are the basics:
- Chic and easy dresses for daytime
- Cocktail dress
- Fitted jeans that can be dressed up or down
- Workout wear that can double for a daytrip or morning coffee
- Shirts for layering (short-sleeved, long-sleeved, tank tops)
- Cardigan sweater or scarf for the plane and chilly nights
- Flats for the plane and daytime
- Walking shoes
- Heels that can double with jeans and your cocktail dress
No matter where you're going, remember that many airlines now charge for checked baggage. Check with your airline for further details, and enjoy your first vacation as a "Mrs."
Photo courtesy of Social Monsters