Celebrate 100 Years of Cheney Mansion on May 19
Cheney Mansion is one the finest showplaces and historical homes in Oak Park, Illinois. Designed by architect Charles E. White, Jr., a student of Frank Lloyd Wright, Cheney Mansion is one of his most important works. Originally built for the C.E. Sharpe family, the property was deeded to the Park District of Oak Park in 1985. Over the years, the unique beauty of Cheney Mansion has served as the perfect location for weddings, special events, feature films and television commercials.
Located just a short walk from historic downtown Oak Park, Cheney Mansion is an exquisite and unique setting for your special day. The 12,000 square foot mansion boasts reception rooms, a catering kitchen, a solarium, an outdoor veranda and a ballroom perfect for entertaining your guests. In addition, Cheney offers a beautiful environment for couples to take their vows outdoors under the sun or stars. The mansion is situated on two acres of beautifully landscaped grounds complete with a restored waterfall garden.
We invite you to enjoy “A Day at Cheney” on May 19 for our 100th birthday celebration, and enjoy a full day of events including:
- Tours: Guided tours of the mansion and its grounds for potential wedding clients, as well as self-guided tours for visitors who want to view the mansion’s beautiful interior.
- Cooking Demonstrations with Cheney Mansion’s chef Ron Martin.
- Spring Plant Sale (9am-Noon): Cheney Mansion’s 16th Annual Plant Sale is a great way to start your morning. This year’s sale features organic Heirloom Tomatoes and other vegetables, as well as hardy perennials grown right on the grounds of Cheney Mansion.
- Waterfall Unveiling (Noon-1pm): Join us at the formal unveiling and ribbon-cutting ceremony for the restored Woodland Waterfall located on the property’s southeast corner. This feature is part of the home’s original design and serves as a stunning backdrop for wedding photographs.
- Picnic in the Park (1pm-3pm): Bring your blanket and relax in a traditional picnic setting on the mansion’s grounds including old-fashioned yard games such as croquet, provided by the Oak Park & River Forest Historical Society, a performance by Pro Musica Youth Chorus. Period costumes are welcome!
220 N. Euclid in Oak Park, Illinois